BookATeeTime

 

Club History

4e859b7c-c3f1-11df-8983-001ec9b331b2

The Golf Club at Thirsk

Landmarks

1914

This year saw the founding of 18 golf clubs throughout Britain, including Eaglescliffe and Oakdale. In March a circular was sent out proposing a golf course at Thirsk. Negotiation for land at Worlds End had fallen through and a site for 9 holes secured near Calvis Hall.

Northallerton GC had been founded in 1910 with a 9 hole course just north of Bullamoor Road; in about 1929 they moved to Low Wiske Moor, west of the Darlington Road near the railway line but in the 1940s the course was taken over for the war effort.

1914

First Annual Meeting on 18th May (chaired by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey)

Club Rules based on those of Scarborough GC adopted

Annual sub. set at 1 guinea for both Ladies and Gents (fewer than 100 members)

Groundsman to be engaged at £1 per week

Girls from S.Kilvington to be employed as caddies at 1 shilling (=5p) per 18 holes

1914

Britain declares war on Germany (4th August)

1915

The War had claimed 18 members for service; Capt. Eykyn, the first to apply for golf club membership, had been killed in action.

1920

Rev. HPH Austen, vicar of Thirsk, appointed first Club Captain.

1921

Thirsk GC on the Register of the Yorkshire Union of Golf Clubs.

1922

First record of a men’s club match (versus Northallerton GC on 29th April). Matches versus Helmsley GC followed soon after.

1924

Ladies committee formed. Affiliated to the LGU.

1925

New Pavilion costing over £200 opened on 15th April by Capt. HA Taylor after an exhibition match between AH Dickenson (Wearside) and JR Ropner (Cambridge Univ.) Unfortunately the pavilion was erected without J Bell’s consent being first obtained, required under the terms of the lease. Formal sanction was obtained in 1927.

1931

Professional tuition made available on Wednesdays, given by E Pengelly of Ripon GC.

First record of a Ladies match, Thirsk GC beating Fulford by 5½ to 1½ (9th May).

1939

Britain declares war on Germany in September.

An EGM discussed the question of disbanding the Club for the duration of the War

1940

A couple of dances held in the Fleece Hotel gave the Club a credit balance which was handed over to the Trustees (Messrs Bell, Lomas, Kelland). On 15th March the cancelled Bank Guarantee was produced and finally burnt in the presence of the Committee.

Club disbanded for the duration

1945

End of World War II

1946

Club re-opened. A meeting was held in the Golden Fleece on 30th January.

1949

 

The name of the Club was changed to “Thirsk & Northallerton Golf Club” at the AGM on 31st May. An influx of members from Northallerton is evident (in the 8th June meeting minutes), and celebrated by a friendly match between them and Thirsk members.

1985

Starter’s hut installed (donated by Eric Hoare in memory of his wife)

1986

Seniors section (EGGS) started by 12 members (first annual meeting on 13th March).

A Rabbits section had already been formed in the 1970s

1987

2 year terms for Presidents started after Major Peter Bell relinquishes Presidency.

1988

EGM on 28th February rejects the offer of land for an extra 9 holes.

1990-1992

A new sewage system, tarmac car park, Professional’s shop, Office and pop-up sprinkler system established as a part of an Improvement Scheme.

1995

New Greenkeeper building and facilities built through Lottery funding.

1997

New 18 hole course opened on 13th July

1999

Half way hut installed (donated by Joy and Tony Bull)

2000

A inter club competition for Men’s ‘B’ teams set up, now called the Bainbridge Shield.

2003

Ladies won both Yorkshire A team and B team finals

2006

Major improvements to Ladies and Gents changing rooms. Opening by MP for Thirsk, Anne MacIntosh, on 22nd April.

2013

Ladies team gain promotion to the Yorkshire Ladies CGA Scratch Division 1.

.